It is true that menopause mark the end of women’s reproductive life. However, careers, relationships, interest and a healthy lifestyle can still be pursued with just the same vigour as before. With modern medicine, the miseries of menopause endured a generation ago can become a thing of the past.
Most importantly, women today can choose to enjoy the second half of their lives enjoying a better quality of life. Here are some tips:
- Exercise at least 5 times a week. Recommended exercises include low-impact movements such as gardening, yoga, qigong, and cardio exercises such as brisk walking, swimming, dancing and aerobics. Include strength training twice a week to build and maintain your muscles.
- Eat well. Choose real foods over processed foods, increase intake of raw fruits and vegetables, reduce starches, sugar, salt and fats.
- Eat less, but more often. Small quantities metabolise faster and helps keep weight gain at bay.
- Understand your body. Recognise signs that something is not right and seek appropriate treatment. Similarly, learn to know the false alarms.
- Stay positive and happy! Ageing does not come without challenges, but having a positive attitude can make a world of difference. You really are as old as you believe you are!
- Get connected with others with similar interests, catch up with long-lost friends, and rekindle old hobbies.
Regular health screenings should be an important part of your life after menopause. These include:
- Breast examination
- Pap test
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Bone mineral density test
- Blood test – cholesterol, liver and kidneys